Sunday, June 10, 2012

Cloth Napkins


Last year, while sitting with some coworkers and talking about our days, a couple of them (lovely ladies, all) mentioned that they had visited the home of a mutual acquaintance who, gasp, never used paper napkins.  All were aghast and completely confused as to how a mother of two could get away with using only cloth.

It was the first time I consciously realized that I've never purchased paper napkins in all of my adult life.

We always used paper while I was growing up, pulling out nice white linens for holidays and special events only.

I might mention here that, in my home, I always use the nice silver, even to eat peanut butter out of the jar.  I don't own any other set.

But on the topic of napkins, it's never seemed an inconvenience to me to use cloth over paper.  I'm sure this all started out with my exaggerated earth-mama tendencies as a young adult, a desire to save the world one patterned napkin at a time.  However, over the years, I've fallen more and more in love with textiles, and using cloth is an easy way to incorporate some pretty into my everyday.  And, perhaps because we are a small household, it doesn't seem an issue to toss a few napkins into a load of laundry we're already doing; it doesn't use up extra soap or water, and line drying does away with any need to iron (not that I'd mind a wrinkly napkin anyway).

This isn't to demonize any busy individuals who, for the sake of convenience or of simple preference, choose paper.  I'm a full advocate for making things easier where it counts, and for some people, napkins count.  However, in the name of slowing down a bit, of adding some beauty to something that can be rather banal, napkins are a nice place to start.

I purchased the above as a set from the sale section of bhldn.  I actually purchased two sets of 20.  We'll be using them for the wedding bash.  I just love the idea of beautiful bright pops of color on white textiles, almost as much as I love the idea of using our wedding napkins--the ones held by our treasured guests--for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment