Monday, June 18, 2012

El Diablo, aka Fizzy Ginger Blackberry Margarita

Most of the adults I know seem to have gotten themselves out of the habit of throwing birthday parties.

Not me.

I feel that having the opportunity to mark another year of life is not to be taken for granted.  It is to be celebrated.  Many others have not been afforded the gift of another birthday!

It's also an excuse to DIY it up and drink cocktails with the people who form my cherished community.

Oh, who am I kidding?  It's an excuse to drink cocktails.

I first had this cocktail, or a version of it, at least, a couple of years ago at one of my favorite local restaurants, Granite Street.  I was fairly new to cocktail drinking at the time, having just been introduced to vodka presses, aka the most boring cocktail in the world (though delicious, and I would love one, thanks), and, on a whim, picked El Diablo off of their great cocktail menu.

Holy sweet heavens to Betsy.

I haven't really been able to try anything else off of their great cocktail menu, because I became completely and utterly hooked on their perfect El Diablo.

Last year, I made a big batch of El Diablo cocktails for my birthday fiesta and happily slurped them from a drink dispenser all night.  Yummy and effective, but a little too sweet due to the ginger beer base and the cloying elderberry liqueur (granted, I purchased cheap elderberry liqueur, which might be responsible for the cloying part).

I've been thinking for months on what I want for the signature cocktail (aka let's use a drink dispenser instead of a bartender) at our wedding.  I feel like I should mix it up and serve something different.

But I just can't.

I also can't stray from my beloved for my upcoming birthday.



El Diablo, Kate style

(Feel free to stay true to the elderberry liqueur version instead of straying into blackberry territory like I do.)

1 part ginger liqueur
1 part silver tequila
1/2 part blackberry liqueur
1/2 part lime
3 parts sparkling water

Layer the alcohol and lime into a glass and stir.  Slowly add the sparkling water to taste.

The lovely piece is that, working in ratios, you can easily make either a single cocktail or a large batch for a party.  When making only one, my "one part" is usually 2 tablespoons.  For the party, I will be using a 2 gallon dispenser, so will likely turn my "one part" into 3.5 cups or so, giving me 21 cups total.

This is such a luscious, refreshing and perfect summer cocktail.  Make it.





No comments:

Post a Comment