Sunday, January 13, 2013

Cascarones

From what I understand, cascarones are a Mexican tradition wherein eggs are emptied out, dyed, filled with confetti and broken over other people's heads.  Apparently, they used to be used in Italy as part of a courting ritual, where love-crazy men would fill hollow eggs with perfume and launch them at the objects of their lust.  Pretty ridiculous, Italians.  Pretty ridiculous.  I wonder if it was a way to cover up the "I only bathe once a year" smell for both parties?  Kind of like saying, "Hey baby, let's get steamy and take a shower together" when really what you want to say is, "Dude, you need to clean your body before I'm letting you anywhere near me."  Isn't romance sweet?

Anyway, we're having cascarones at the wedding.

I did them a couple of years ago at my birthday party.  I hid them around the yard and then had to stumble around tipsy (to say the least), in heels, in the dark to find all of them to hand them to people because for some reason my guests were more interested in the cocktail portion of the party than the "hey!  Let's go on an egg hunt!" part.  Go figure. (Side note: my mom recently asked me if I had thought of games to play at the wedding.  I told her I'm making corn hold boards.  She suggested pin the tail on the donkey.  See: why my mom is amazing and also will not be planning the wedding.)   For my birthday, I filled a secret one with glitter with the plan that whomever was showered with glitter would get a special prize.  My  sweet friend Abby had bought a super cute new dress for the party and I'm pretty sure she still hasn't gotten the glitter out of it, so this time we're sticking with confetti.  And I'm just going to put them out in plain sight because apparently my friends are lazy a-holes (kidding!  love you guys.).

The punchline of this whole spiel is that the cascarones are not finished yet and you will not be rewarded with a tutorial.  However, I've been diligently saving up eggs shells for the past several months and I finally fished dying this first batch last week.  In case you're wondering, I break open the eggs without ruining the shells by lightly tapping the pointed end on the counter until it has a small crack, then gently picking a few pieces away until I have a hole like this:
Once I get a hole big enough, I shake the egg out.  The yolk gets scrambled, but whatev.  It's pretty simple, especially if you plan ahead and do a few each week, and it does away with the "I just emptied out ten dozen egg shells and now am getting anxious about what the heck I'm going to do with ten dozen scrambled eggs other than store them in my freezer until they get so freezer burned that I can justify throwing them away."  Anybody else do that?  Just me?  Uh-huh.

I'm still trying to figure out what to fill them with.  Tissue confetti is my top choice for aesthetics, and I love how it's light so takes awhile to float down--great for photos!  But I'm worried it will take forever to decompose and will leave my parents (who are hosting the party) with mounds of tissue paper in all their rock landscaping and along their fence.  The house will need enough clean up without adding that to the list.  There is ecofetti, which reportedly decomposes upon first contact with water, but it looks like styrofoam.  Other options are lavender buds (maybe expensive for a couple hundred cascarones; I need to do more research) or fruity pebbles for the birdies (and my parents' doggies) to eat.  I'm sure we'll figure something fun out.  But in the meanwhile, I open these up from time to time to get re-excited about the whole thing.  Aren't they pretty?

Oh, and guys, neon food coloring is where it's at.  F'real.


No comments:

Post a Comment