Monday, January 14, 2013

Easy DIY Honey Oatmeal Face Mask

This is a quick share because I kind of want to tell everybody I talk to about this fantastic quickie mask, but because we're working on social skills (ahem), I have to reign myself in from driving every conversation into a one-sided discussion about rubbing oatmeal and other food products on my face.

So here we are.

This mask is amazing because it's uber cheap, non-irritating, moisturizing, exfoliating and cleansing all in one.  Honey is a humectant, which means (for this application) it draws moisture to the skin.  Supposedly, it's also antibacterial, which is great for those little spots we sometimes get.  Oats are moisturizing and anti-inflammatory.  What I find is that after using this mask, my skin is instantly more glowy and smooth, and any red spots I started with have calmed.  I love it and use it a couple of times per month.  The beauty of it is that, while lots of masks leave you red-faced and thus should only be used at night, this one has no such effects, so can be used anytime (even before a hot date).

If you google "oatmeal face mask," you'll be rewarded with a bunch of more complicated masks, but I love this one for its simplicity and reliability.  I also love that I don't have to worry about raw egg white dripping into my mouth.

Honey Oatmeal Face Mask

Place 1 T (roughly) of runny honey into a small bowl.  If you prefer, you can certainly use raw honey, though you will have to play with it a bit to make it liquid enough to take the oatmeal.  I've used processed honey and raw honey for this and don't notice one performing better than the other.

Starting small, add about 2 t. (again, roughly--I never measure) finely ground oat flour and stir this mixture together.  Texture wise, you're looking for wet cement; liquid enough to rub onto your face, firm enough that it won't drip off.  Adjust amounts of oat flour and honey accordingly.

Cover clean, damp skin (either just face or face, neck and upper chest) with this paste and allow to sit for 10-30 minutes (no harm in leaving it on longer, though).  Rinse off gently, slather on your favorite moisturizer (I love Argan Oil), and you're good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment