Friday, August 2, 2013

Grain-Free Sugar-Free Waffles (candida friendly)

Instead of going on a honeymoon, we went on the candida diet.

H has been dealing with this for awhile now and decided to tackle it in earnest after the wedding.  This means any foods that feed yeast (all sugars--including milk and fruit sugars, grains, alcohol) or are acidic (vinegars, citrus juices) or are moldy/fungal (cheese, mushrooms) are off the table (see what I did there?).  While this might seem straightforward, there are a lot of foods I expected to be okay that also need to be eliminated--mustard (because of the vinegar), caffeine (apparently the yeast feeds on it?) and pistachios (reportedly have a high mold content), among others.

It makes me laugh/cringe a little when people ask me how married life is going and whether we're enjoying a honeymoon phase, because instead of giving the socially appropriate response ("It's great!  We're just enjoying our time together), I launch into an informative discussion of candida and how my new husband felt (and looked) like he had the flu for the week following the wedding and is now literally starving.  Polite conversation is not my strong suit.

What we're working with: he can have meat, salmon (other kinds of seafood are prohibited), non-starchy vegetables, plain yogurt, eggs and a limited quantity of nuts (preferably soaked in a lemon juice solution overnight to kill any lingering mold).  It's pretty brutal but hopefully will help get the issue under control enough that eventually he can go back to eating a more balanced array of foods (though I think we'll probably have to maintain some semblance of this for a long time, if not forever).

This diet might be okay for a couple of months if the person taking it on has quite a bit of weight he or she can afford lose.  After all, it's very similar to another diet that rhymes with "totally flipping crazy and miserable" designed to cause individuals to lose a lot of weight very quickly.  However, because H is already pretty lean, a big concern going into this was whether he'd be able to eat enough calories.  Two weeks in, we know some weight loss is inevitable--it's simply too difficult to eat the 2,500 or so calories he needs to maintain his weight, but we're trying to find creative ways to make the food he can eat more appealing so he'll be able to get more of it down.

In other words, I've spent our honeymoon in my (not air-conditioned) kitchen with the goal of cramming as many calories as possible into foods that are easy for H to grab and eat.  So much more fun than relaxing on a tropical beach with a book in one hand and a cocktail in the other.

In my search for candida-friendly recipes, I didn't find much (at least not much that seemed appealing), so rather than relying on other people's recipes, I'm developing my own.  I don't have a lot of time to test and retest, so they may not be perfect but H seems happy with them.  As I learn and practice more, I'm sure I'll find new tricks to make these work even better, but in the meanwhile I want to get them out there for others to play with.  Let me know what you think.

Note: I am not even close to being an expert on candida; we're just doing the best we can.  My understanding is it's not ideal to eat a ton of nuts due to their carbohydrate content and the possibility they might contain mold.  H needs the calories, so it's the one place we're fudging a bit.  If you're going at this hard-core, it might be wise to soak and dehydrate whole almonds, then process them into flour yourself.

Note #2: There aren't a ton of options for sugar-free toppings here.  I've tried a mixture of almond butter, coconut milk and a few drops of stevia and maple extract that didn't go over very well.  I also made some xylitol-based syrup with maple extract that was better, but it crystallized upon cooling.  H has used these to make an egg sandwich, which might be the best use for them--you could even eat them as toast points with butter to eat alongside some eggs.

Note #3: I don't diet (in the weight loss sense) and don't have a medical reason to follow this so I'm not actually doing this full-on with H; after all, we can't both be hungry and cranky.  I do try the stuff I make and only pass along the recipes I think taste good regardless of whether or not you're starving.  Even if you're not candida-ing, I still like recipes like this (with a little syrup) for weekday mornings when you can't afford the late morning sugar crash from regular syrup-drenched waffles.




Grain Free, Sugar-Free Waffles

Makes 6-8 waffles.

Into the blender (putting the liquids in first helps the blender do its job):

6 eggs
1 c. coconut milk (I use full-fat canned to boost calories, but if you want to reduce calories, any kind of milk--dairy or non-dairy--should be fine).
6 T coconut oil, melted if it's not already (coconut oil is a powerful anti fungal so I've been using a lot of it)
1 1/2 c. almond flour
6 T. coconut flour
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 T. vanilla extract
40 drops stevia extract optional

Once all the ingredients are in, turn the blender on and process until smooth.  Allow this to sit while you heat up your waffle iron (the coconut flour will absorb a lot of the moisture--you want to give it a few minutes to do its work).

Once your waffle iron is hot, pour 1/2 c. of batter in and bake the waffle for 3 or so minutes, just until the iron stops steaming.  Don't wait for the light to indicate the waffle is ready or it will be overcooked.  You want to catch it just after it firms up but before it starts to brown.

Serve as you wish and enjoy!

xo

4 comments:

  1. I like your recipe. The best thing is that it is sugar free. Sugar is the real cause of calories.

    Regards,
    Tahitian Noni Juice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this recipe!! Ate with a small amount of strawberries and full-fat coconut milk. Great treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a link to your other candida information? Like the lemon soak for nuts? Thanks, I'm in the middle of trying to solve my candida mess. I get everything from skin irritations to fatigue to numbness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This waffle recipe is awesome thanks!

    Will it work without almond flour? Can I use coconut flour in place of the almond flour? If so, how much coconut flour (is it the same ratio)?

    Thanks very much

    ReplyDelete